Lend Your Name to Protect and Strengthen Medicare and Health Care
Letter - Help Pass the Steve Gleason Enduring Voices Act (H.R. 2465, S. 1132)
Petition - End the Harmful Use of "Observation Status"
Petition - Oral Health Care is Health Care!
Sign our petition to Remind CMS that Medicare should be covering Medically necessary oral health care.
- Medicare was created to help older people and people with disabilities. It should not deny clinically essential or life-saving treatments simply because those treatments occur within the mouth.
- The Medicare statute does not prohibit coverage for non-routine dental or oral procedures that are medically critical to the treatment of illnesses, diseases, injuries, and health conditions.
- The Senate Report that accompanied the original Medicare legislation explained that the “specific exclusion of routine dental care” was intended “to make clear that the services of dental surgeons covered under the bill are restricted to complex surgical procedures.”
Letter - Tell Your Elected Officials to Support Medicare Coverage of Hearing Care
A June 2, 2016 report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine called hearing loss a public health priority and social health responsibility. The Report’s findings demonstrate the urgent need to update Medicare coverage to reflect the serious health issues that stem from hearing loss.
Hearing loss affects nearly 30 million Americans, but only 1 in 5 people diagnosed with hearing issues have hearing aids – in large part because Medicare currently excludes coverage for hearing aids and related audiology services. Even mild hearing loss has been shown to double the risk of dementia. Further, hearing loss is directly related to a variety of cognitive impairments, isolation, depression, and increased risk for falls.
Legislation has been proposed which could close this gap in coverage:
- Rep. Debbie Dingell (D-MI) introduced the Medicare Hearing Aid Coverage Act of 2015 (H.R. 1653), which would allow Medicare to provide coverage for hearing aids.
- Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) introduced the Medicare Dental, Vision, and Hearing Benefit Act of 2016 (H.R. 5396) which would add hearing, vision and dental services to Medicare.
Urge your legislators to support these important Bills!